Katherine F. “Katie” Thomas
- Estate Planning
- Special Education Law
Katie focuses her practice in the areas of estate planning, special education law, and guardianships. Prior to joining Ally Legal Planning, Katie previously worked in family law for many years and developed a reputation for personalizing her representation for each client and zealously advocating for her clients through negotiations and litigation. As part of her family law background she is well versed in the nuances of pre and post-nuptial agreements. Katie is also a mediator and uses her experience to facilitate settlements.
Katie takes time to get to know each client and works with them to determine the best path forward and implement the plan based on their unique circumstances. She regularly helps clients obtain guardianship of the person or property for a loved one, attends IEP or 504 meetings with parents, and helps families create an estate plan that is appropriate for their individual needs.
Katie has been a guest speaker at countless Baltimore-Washington events about raising a child with disabilities and complex medical needs. Outside of work, she volunteers her time as a board member for Liver Mommas, Inc. and regularly fosters and trains dogs for a local animal rescue.
Katie is a Maryland native and lives in Montgomery County with her husband, two children, and two dogs.
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- Loyola University, Baltimore, Maryland
Professional Associations and Committees
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Howard County Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association, 2015 to Present
- Howard County Women’s Bar Association
- Montgomery County Women's Bar Association
- Liver Mommas, Inc., Board Member
- CORE Foundations, Quality and Assurance Committee Member